Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Finished Ruth

Started & finished Ruth tonight. It was grouped with Judges in the Old Testament Student Manual. I  thought it interesting, until I realized it took place during the reign of the Judges.
“For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace” ( Romans 8:6 ). The truth of this declaration is evident in the contrasting stories of Samson and Ruth. The prophets have always been anxious that the Saints find that peace which comes from living a Christlike life. ( OTSM )
The Old Testament Student Manual also brought out another interesting fact. Ruth was a convert. And her famous speech, "Intreat me not to leave thee ..." ( Ruth 1:16-17 ) makes perfect sense when viewed in that light. I always thought Ruth's speech should have been between a man & a woman, but
President John Taylor used the example of Ruth to describe modern Saints who also were willing to give up homes and kinships to be where their God wanted them to be. ( OTSM )
It is one of my favorite books of scriptures. I read a novel about Ruth when I was in junior high. I can remember exactly where it was in the old Carnegie Library, but I can't remember the name or the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment