Saturday, September 25, 2010

Psalm 91

I wonder if the quote on Sept. 15 should have read "by listening empathetically" instead of emphatically? Listening any way is hard, but I don't quite know how to listen emphatically, sigh.

Tonight there was another quote I want to pull out to ponder
"The Lord gives us a spirit of hope and a feeling of comfort and confidence that we can overcome the obstacles we face. He has shown the way to gain strength during our struggles. With His assistance, we have the ability to succeed."
--L. Lionel Kendrick, "Strength During Struggles,", Ensign, Oct 2001, 24
Now, to turn to the title of tonight's entry, Psalm 91. The Old Testament Student Manual gives an assignment to choose 15 psalms to study. I have chosen 91 to be one of my 15 psalms to study.

It is a Messianic Psalm; The Lord shall give his angels charge over Him ...

The choir sang On Eagle's Wings in Sacrament meeting this summer. I had no clue it was adapted from this psalm until I started reading the psalm. I guess this phrase from verse 3, "he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler," caused the jolt of recognition.

Psalm 91:11–12 is quoted in Luke 4:10–11. The song says, "And He will raise you up on eagle's wings, bear you on the breath of dawn ..." It is a beautiful hymn.

No comments:

Post a Comment