Monday, March 7, 2011

Old Testament completed

I decided to copy my review from goodreads.com I didn't really want to take the time to do it again. It is, after all, a work night & it's already 12:24 a.m.
  • Bookshelves: 2011-reads, dewey-decimal-200s, read, rereads 
  • Read from June 01, 2010 to March 06, 2011
  • Recommended for: Not the faint in heart
I chose to shelve this book as a Dewey Decimal 200. It is, after all, shelved in the 200 category of the Dewey Decimal system, which is religion.

I read through the shelves people had shelved this in on Goodreads & had to snort & snicker as I read through them. I wondered why LDS or Mormon considered the Bible "their" book when the world doesn't think we even BELIEVE the Bible. Someone else shelved it as a book they don't presume to rate. Well, ya, it's a hard book to rate. I can't see ever reading it as "light or recreational" reading. Someone else shelved it as the "S" word, which made me snicker.

I started reading the Old Testament on June 1, 2010. It was the course of study for 2010 for the auxiliaries of the LDS Church. It has taken me all this time to finish it. There were very few nights when I missed reading. And some nights I could only read a chapter. I set a goal to read it by Dec. 31, 2010. I obviously missed my original deadline. I wanted to be certain to be finished by the beginning of Lent, or Ash Wednesday. And I made it!! I read the Book of Mormon for Lent.

I read the Old Testament in the Old Testament Seminary class I took as a senior in high school, but as I read through it this time, I'm shaking my head in disbelief. I wondered many times where my mind was in seminary. I read the LDS Institute of Religion's Old Testament Student Manual 1 Kings–Malachi - Religion 302 along with it. I still have a couple of chapters left in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment